Friday, November 29, 2013

Review of Marvel Select Thor: The Dark World Thor figure!



 
 
Character Bio:
Known as the God of Thunder on Earth, Thor is an Asgardian from an alien world where magic and technology are one in the same. As a prince of Asgard, Thor's responsibilities reach across the Nine Realms, but he has a place in his heart for Midgard, or Earth, where he was briefly banished. He has fought alongside Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and considers each of them to be as fine a warrior as any Asgardian.
Scale: Roughly 7" - 7 1/2"
Price: $20.99 -$30.99











Sculpt and Paint:
This Thor is probably the only movie figure I will be picking up for Thor: The Dark World as the 3" line does not appeal to me at all, and it looks like there won't be a Legends line like there was for Iron Man 3 and the ones coming up for Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. So for me this figure had a huge hole to fill in my collection and thankfully this Thor is more than worthy to carry that burden. This is a great Thor. A few gripes here and there, but nothing horrible, more in terms of personal taste. Now the sculpt on this Thor is incredible. The armor is amazing. All of the little separate pieces, the connectors, the uru orbs (I'm guesing they're still called that in the cinematic universe?) are all sculpted to perfection. His headsculpt this time around is fantastic. There's a really great likeness to Chris Hemsworth, but the paint on the hair throws it off. Now the hair and beard are all sculpted wonderfully and are loaded with detail, but they are painted too light I think. They almost blend with the skintone from far away, as do the eyebrows
. I gave it a paint wash, and there will be a picture of that later. I think it definitely makes the likeness pop out more, but again, personal preference. The paint otherwise is stunning but one part confuses me, the gold on his armor. In the movie promo art it looks silver. In the movie and stills, it looks bronze. Here it is a really defined gold. Now I myself haven't seen the movie, so maybe he gets gold armor at the end? I honestly don't know, if that's the case, this is a great chance for the Disney Store to score an exclusive where he has the silver bits and he has the chainmail arms. That would be cool, but I'm not dissing the bare arms. Since seeing him in the very begging of The Avengers without the chain mail, I've wanted a bare arms movie Thor. It really has a classic vibe...in a new way.....yes.










Accessories and Articulation:
 For accessories, Thor comes with his trusty hammer Mjolnir. The sculpt of the hilt is a brand new sculpt but the top I think is reused from the previous Marvel Select movie Thor figure. The electricity thing doesn't come with him but I thought it looked cool and now it won't come off...so...I am sorry about that...it looks kind of cool though!




Thor also comes with half of a base, made of rocks, grass, and a dark elf mask. Now there are no actual foot pegs to peg him on so I don't know how that works. The other half comes with the upcoming Jane Foster figure, so maybe the pegs are on that half? Now if you only want Thor, I found a pretty cool display option, but more on that later. In terms of articulation, Thor has a ball jointed head which is limited to a swivel with some tight tilt action due to the hair. He has swivel-hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinge elbows, a really weird wrist joint, it swivels, but seems like it can also tilt like a ball joint. He has a abdomen ball joint, a swivel waist hidden under his battle skirt thing, H-joint hips, swivel thighs, double hinge knees, hinge ankles, and swivel ankles!

 
OVERALL:
This is a fantastic Thor with great articulation and an awesome sculpt and paint job. Seeing as how we won't be getting a Legends scale Thor for the movie this is the guy you'll want! I highly recommend getting him for your on collection!
10 out of 10 FOR ASGARD!!
 

Phase 2 Begins!





A little paint work makes the hair pop a bit more in my opinion.
 
Hope you guys enjoyed the review!


No comments:

Post a Comment